Welcome!

Welcome!

This blog was originally dedicated to my journey from a writer to a traditionally published author. Since that time, my interests have changed and I self-published my debut novel, Heavenly Matchmaking: Meant To Be, as an e-book. Now this blog will serve as an outlet for my thoughts on my writing and self-publishing journeys, as I endeavor to have a life, work my day job, promote my novels, and write my next. (Though I expect my postings on My Journey Blog will diverge some from the topics of writing and publishing.)

Thursday, February 26, 2015

A bite!

originally posted Feb 16, 2015, 5:15 PM by Kelly Lopushansky

I feel completely nauseated.  Why?  Because I've actually had a bite.  An actual agent is interested in reading the first three chapters of my novel and a synopsis!  I'm having my synopsis read by one more person before I send it in, just to be sure.  But it'll go tomorrow.

Even if this agent isn't the one, I'm so happy to say that I'm finally doing something right.  Or at least, right enough that someone is taking a second look.  (I like this one, he deals exclusively with romance and women's fiction.  I also spent a lot of time checking out his blog and I based on that, he's someone with whom I could work.)

So what did I do differently?  I'm not entirely sure.  I did mention in my query how I happened to find him (a post on Writer's Digest about the difference between romance and women's fiction) and that I have read some of his blog.  I did attempt to connect to other agents in a somewhat similar manner, but maybe this one was just more natural.  After all, I really did enjoy his posts.

I also rewrote my pitch on Saturday, shrinking it down to 250 words.  I think it's a little tighter and makes more out of each word.  So it could be that.

As always, it's a little hard to say what this one liked as opposed to the others, because the ones who didn't like it didn't say why.  But once I have an agent, I'll post my query here for viewing.  I’m saving the queries I used in individual files named for the agent to whom I submitted it, so it’ll be easy to post.  Until I sign with an agent, I may continue to evolve my query, so I'm not posting it now.

Thank you for your positive thoughts.  This is continuing to be a journey of ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment