Welcome!

Welcome!

This blog was originally dedicated to my journey from a writer to a traditionally published author. Since that time, my interests have changed and I self-published my debut novel, Heavenly Matchmaking: Meant To Be, as an e-book. Now this blog will serve as an outlet for my thoughts on my writing and self-publishing journeys, as I endeavor to have a life, work my day job, promote my novels, and write my next. (Though I expect my postings on My Journey Blog will diverge some from the topics of writing and publishing.)

Monday, August 29, 2016

And the distribution goes on...

The distribution from Smashwords.com has begun.  Heavenly Matchmaking: Meant To Be is already up on Kobo.com. More locations to come. I've also made a page on Goodreads.com, which is how I discovered the book was available on Kobo.

What I've learned:
1) Instant publication to a single site is possible, it just depends on the site.  Instant publication to multiple sites requires a wonderful little thing called the pre-order. I'll be investigating in more depth when I publish again and will report back.

2) All sites follow their own procedures and therefore have their own cycle time before adding a book to their catalog. I'm also told it is possible to be rejected, but so far so good. Smashwords was instant to their site. I was told to expect up to 3 days for Kobo, it was less than 4 hours.

3) I'm still dragging my feet with regard to publishing to Amazon. Reading all the terms I have to agree to has made me reconsider.  And on top of the many rights you sign away (I'm still not sure I understand that and will be rereading tomorrow), they also want a bank account to electronically pay me.  Sounds good until you think about the fact that then my bank account number is sitting out on some server somewhere just waiting to be hacked. Yes, more thought must go into this one.

4) I thought my coupons would work at any retailer, but I'm having trouble using one on Kobo, so it may only be on Smashwords that I can give discounts. It's also possible that more time is needed for the coupons to be active on other sites. More investigation required.

5) Despite living in a world of "instant" gratification, there are still things that take time, and patience truly is a virtue. (Still waiting to hear back from Goodreads about my author page... patience.)

Best wishes in your current endeavors.


No comments:

Post a Comment