Welcome!

Welcome!

This blog was originally dedicated to my journey from a writer to a traditionally published author. Since that time, my interests have changed and I self-published my debut novel, Heavenly Matchmaking: Meant To Be, as an e-book. Now this blog will serve as an outlet for my thoughts on my writing and self-publishing journeys, as I endeavor to have a life, work my day job, promote my novels, and write my next. (Though I expect my postings on My Journey Blog will diverge some from the topics of writing and publishing.)

Saturday, February 10, 2018

One Author's Plea Regarding the Terror of a Book Release

Today, my novel released as an e-book which means that people may, in fact, read it.

While an exceptionally exciting time in my life (goodness, I should be in a more celebratory mood), it's also one of the most terrifying.  Why?  Because people I actually know, and who know me, may read my book.  My stomach churns at the very thought.  Someone I know might read it!!!  Ack!  Is this really what I signed on for?  (Answer: yes)

People I actually know, may:

1) Hate it.  (Please don't tell me if you just plain hate it and have no other thoughts to share.  I'll never even know you purchased it unless you tell me, so just don't tell me you bought it, read it, and hated it.)

2) Judge me for its content.  (Perhaps you don't care for something in the book.  Maybe you're shocked by what I wrote.  Maybe just reading this book will change your opinion of me, discolor our friendship forever, and I'll never know why.  On this one, I think I'd rather know, even though I can't do anything about it.  At least I'll understand.)

3) Find errors.  (I may melt into the floor, but PLEASE TELL ME if you find an error.  At least I can correct it for a new edition.)

4) Not like it.  (This is fine.  I've read books I didn't like.  You can tell me it wasn't your cup of tea.  That won't offend me.)

5) Have a criticism that they share with everyone BUT me.  (Please, if you have a comment worthy of sharing with anybody else, share it with me too.)

I'm sure there are more items to add to this list of neurotic thoughts, but at the moment, these are the ones preying on me.

If you've released a book and have any suggestions on how to battle the crazy, please comment your thoughts.  I need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment