Welcome!

Welcome!

This blog was originally dedicated to my journey from a writer to a traditionally published author. Since that time, my interests have changed and I self-published my debut novel, Heavenly Matchmaking: Meant To Be, as an e-book. Now this blog will serve as an outlet for my thoughts on my writing and self-publishing journeys, as I endeavor to have a life, work my day job, promote my novels, and write my next. (Though I expect my postings on My Journey Blog will diverge some from the topics of writing and publishing.)

Friday, June 12, 2015

It's been a long day...

I have, well, the word addiction isn't appropriate.  Nor is obsession  So let's call it a fascination,  I have a fascination with musical movies, song and dance musicals.  Like Singin' In The Rain and Oklahoma and Silk Stockings and so on and on and on.

I love them so much that I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.  In fact, I probably couldn't make a list of favorites that spoke about my taste, because it would just be too long to analyze.  But certain moments from musicals spring to my mind all the time, and for those, I can compile a list that's short enough to have some symbolic meaning.

For example, I just adore the song It's Been A Long Day from How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.  Although the main idea of the song is two people hemming and hawing about whether or not to go out on a date, the line that's repeated over and over by the characters to cover up the awkwardness is "Well, it's been a long day.  Well, it's been a long, been a long, been a long day."  I'm not Ally McBeal.  I don't have a cast of characters appearing around me to sing all the time.  But I do have a bit of a soundtrack in my head and that chorus comes up all the time.  And boy, has it been a long day...

Today's post started to be another about not making much progress.  I could blame it on the full-time job and a number of other things that pop up in life from time to time, but as I look at what I'm doing, it occurs to me that I've been passively avoiding querying by writing on my new project.  I'm probably far from objective, but I do think the book I'm working on now is coming together better than the one that is currently complete.  (This may be a faulty impression taken from the rejections, but then, it might not be...)  So, I'm going to take a step back from worrying about querying and any guilt associated with not doing it.  Instead, I'm accepting that what I want to do is finish this second book, where I so much more of my hope and pleasure currently lies.

The new plan is to finish the first draft of current book by the end of July.  I'll then be able to step back from it and focus all my efforts on queries.  Depending on the results from the queries, I may find myself re-writing the first book.  If that's the case, then I'll do it actively, rather than passively avoid it.  And then, perhaps in September, I'll revisit this second book and begin editing.

Whatever happens, at least I can say I wrote a book, published or not.  I may yet have a second.  And They Can't Take That Away From Me...

No comments:

Post a Comment